Thursday, April 5, 2012

How Long Did It Take You To Make That?

You get that question, don't you? How in the world do you answer it?


From start to finish, this little freeform looping vest is going to clock in at over a year. I only know that because I looked it up on this blog. The first post was in February of 2011. A month later, I'd overcome a minor hurdle and was making progress. Then, of course, I got busy preparing for and traveling to teach workshops. Like plot developments that impede the course of true love in a novel, there's always been some good reason to set this piece aside.

But this week, I may -- may! -- get it finished.


As far as I can tell, I'm satisfied with the back. It took about 20 shots with the digital camera and a full-length mirror to see what it looks like from behind on my actual body.


I'm finishing the edges with cross-knit looping, using a brilliant technique I learned from Laverne Waddington. The binding is done on both armholes and the back hem. I'm guessing three more evenings ought to finish the front edges and neckline.

How much actual stitching time have I spent on something people will probably assume is crocheted? Snort. Maybe 40 hours. So far. And that's a guess, because I haven't been keeping track. I hate keeping track, and only do it when I have to know a project fits within time parameters given by event organizers.

Time is sooo far down on the list of things I'd like people to wonder about, if they're going to wonder about anything when they see this garment. I figure I'm not alone on that score.

What do you wish people would ask instead of "How long did it take you to make that?"



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!