Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vested Interest

Along with the sewing I've been doing for my Wardrobe Reboot, I'm working on a vest in freeform looping. I'll post progress on this project on the New Age Looping Study Group facebook page. Yesterday I posted a small album of past project photos to show looping variations I'm planning to incorporate in the vest motifs.


The yarn for this project was gleaned from the goodies I got from my husband's sister's best friend's aunt's stash last year. It included a ginormous skein of white cotton yarn (heavier than Sugar & Cream) variegated with pink, yellow and blue.



For looping, I'm not overly fond of space-dyed or variegated yarns. A dip in the indigo vat transformed the yarn into something that looked more like my jeans-and-boots self.


There was also a partial skein of plain white in the stash that I dyed a darker indigo. At this stage, I'm thinking the darker blue will be used only for the edging. I want to use the cross-knit looping edging I showed last fall on the vest, but as always, my plans are subject to change.

By the way, the dressmaker form I'm working on was bought for me by a friend a few years ago at the Textile Center's annual Fiber Art Garage Sale (April 16 this year). Ten bucks. I have two of these beauties.

Brigitte is close enough to my size to work on for stuff like this, but would require more padding for more serious tailoring projects. If I ever develop tailoring skills, I'll have to alter her or lose weight. In the meantime (which is probably forever), Brigitte encourages my basic impulse: Fudge to fit.

Her companion, Babette, is a size I haven't been in many years. She earns her place in the studio by permitting me to dress her up in garage sale and thrift store finds like some full-size fashion doll. Je suis facilement amusés.

If you're on Facebook, I hope you'll Like the Looping Study Group and join in. There's a Facebook badge now in the right-hand column of this page. If you're not a Facebook user, you can still see the page. If you see Babette and Brigitte posting comments in French on Facebook, you can cabin fever has hit the Northwoods hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!