Sunday, April 1, 2012

Picking Up The Thread


Fingers crossed, I'm regaining control over a bunch of loose threads that have been trailing since before the willow harvest started a few weeks early. There are still some available spots in the next section of the New Age Looping Basics eCourse, which begins on April 10, but registered students have received their orientation and starter materials. My usual to-do list of class proposals and follow-up tasks is mostly under control. Preparations for upcoming workshops, online and in person, are well in hand. The itinerary for next year's Ireland trip (details to come soon), is nearly set. And materials I need to deliver next week for a show are ready to go.

That means this week, I'm finishing that freeform looping vest, come hell or high water.


Do you have a project that's this close to being done, too?

7 comments:

  1. What kind of willow do you grow? I wonder if I could find some here in Texas. Willow fences are so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri, I have best success with a variety called Green Dicks -- mainly because the rabbits pass it up in favor of anything redder and sweeter.

    I don't know much about the growing conditions in your area, but would be happy to post a question to a willow group on facebook. Maybe someone can suggest a variety suited to both your climate and a willow fence application. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh! Who knew. A Facebook group for willow. There's one for everything, so don't know why that surprises me :)

      I don't actually want to grow the willow fence, just make a fence or whatever from the willow. I am curious if there's one that will grow in the DFW area. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Never hurts to ask -- let's see!

      Delete
    3. Sherri, let me know if you're looking for a supplier for dried willow. But for a living willow fence to grow in your area, here's the advice I'm getting from people more familiar with your climate: Plant a living willow fence in the cooler season, mulch the heck out of it, and install a soaker hose for the first season at least. Once willow is established, it generally doesn't need additional moisture (your mileage may vary), but for the first growing season moisture is critical (not just in your climate).

      Delete
  3. oh I have many projects that fit that criteria - you know - the ones that hit a snag - so you put it aside to think it through! I did succeed in getting one done last week but now I have a gourd that is staring me the face - I may put it back on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes that stuff just has to incubate a while!

    ReplyDelete

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!