Paperwork, mending, and a to-do list don't make exciting blog posts. But last week I tied up a lot of loose ends, did a bunch of mending, and got a birthday gift in the mail almost on time.
The gift isn't what I had planned to make. But right before I headed out to the studio to execute my plan, I saw a girl on TV wearing a beret and wheels started turning.
There was a once-white beret bought at a thrift shop in my studio stash, as well as a charcoal gray wool sweater, also thrifted. Both had been through the wash: That's SOP for thrifted stuff before it goes into the stash.
I used a wide zig-zag stitch to apply random appliques of the charcoal wool to the hat, and added extra lines of stitching. Acid dye and a quick steam transformed the color from once-white to amethyst. About this time I realized the flaw in my plan: I'd been hoping to get this gift in the mail the same day. When I switched from Plan A to Plan Beret, I skipped right over Dry Time.
Bill came to my rescue. It was a sunny day with a nice breeze. He suggested putting the piece on the hood of his black pick-up truck to speed up the drying time.
Worked like a charm. I pinned it to a towel secured under the windshield wiper and left it there over lunch. In just over an hour, it was dry enough to pin to the clothesline without stretching. It finished drying quickly, and I was able to get it wrapped, boxed, and to the post office that afternoon.
Next up on my gift to-do list are pieces for my sister and my mom. Must put "find the materials set aside for these" on my to-do list.