Monday, March 12, 2012

Ombre Or What Would You Call It?

Ombre thread included in New Age Looping Basics eCourse starter kit
For looping, I like threads that give me color with some highlights and depth -- something more subtle than space-dyed yarns, which are often a bit stripey. The term I came up with for these hand-dyed fibers is ombre, but what do you think?

I've always understood ombre (sorry, can't figure out how to accent the e) to refer to a yarn or fabric that varies in shade or tone. But just to be sure, I googled the term to check my usage while writing the description of materials in the starter kit for my New Age Looping Basics eCourse. What I found wasn't what I expected. But now I know that ombre is the latest rage among celebrity hair styles.

Years ago, when my passion for dyeing mostly applied to Easter eggs and my own hair, the dip dyed look was something to avoid. I won't be posting pics of my bleached blonde days. Just assume I looked very, very cool.

Maybe we should put our heads together (whatever color they may be now), flip through some old photos for styles we never expect to see again, and try to come up with the Next Big Thing. Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!