Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pantyhose Portfolio

In addition to Drill Press Doodles And Trivet Tricks, on a recent fabric printing day I pulled out my Pantyhose Portfolio. These are a few very old slapdash screens I made from pantyhose and embroidery hoops.

Pantyhose Print used with thickened MX dye

To make the screen, I stretched old pantyhose into a wooden embroidery hoop smeared with glue to keep the fabric taut. When that dried, I drew a design on the fabric with plain old white glue. When that dried, I used duct tape to mask outside the print area.

I stopped making these because they're awkward to store. But in cleaning recently, I found a bag of old pantyhose my mother gave me for a different project. Now I'm wondering if there's a way to stretch them temporarily while painting the glue resist, then cut them flat for printing and storage. I thought about doing that with the pantyhose on my body, then peeling them off. If you see me wearing pantyhose, you should assume I'm testing that method.

Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!