Thursday, September 9, 2010

Next Stop -- The Textile Center

Marge Dancing by Donna Kallner
Still floating on the fun of my week taking a spinning class at Sievers, I'm feeling pretty light on my feet as I prepare for upcoming classes at The Textile Center. This Minneapolis venue is one of my favorite places to teach. It's always exciting to see the work students do there.

This time I'm teaching Breaking Boundaries, a two-day class built around guided exercises and creativity catalysts. We'll be playing with the picture plane and frames that are part of the story, ways to add actual and perceived dimension to image elements, and ideas for using layers, sheers and shadows. I'm adding a new element to the class with layered image transfers. It's part of a unit I was planning to propose for Bead & Button 2011. Since Bead & Button's dates overlap the Surface Design Association biennial conference next year, and SDA is in Minneapolis, and my elaborate plan to be in two places at one time involved tearing a hole in the space-time continuum... well, I didn't propose to B&B. Layered transfers fit perfectly with the goals and objectives of this Breaking Boundaries class, so these students will get a little bonus.

I'm also teaching Photo Cabochons, a fun one-day class where students learn to create focal elements for jewelry from family photos, clip art, digital photographs and other image elements. This one, made on a slice of hardwood dowel, is from a photo of my dad as a boy.


This one, made on a resin bead, is from the photo my mom had made for my dad to carry when he left for the Army.


The Photo Cabochons class is Friday, September 17. Breaking Boundaries is September 18-19. Yep -- that's just over a week from now, so if you're planning to register please phone the Textile Center asap.

Speaking of registrations, I realize I'm planning to go the The Gathering at Sievers, but I haven't actually registered for it. Oops -- gotta go make a phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!