Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Soon To Expire -- Brewed Dyes & Discounts

Oops! I've been so focused on preparing for the natural dye workshop I'm teaching this weekend, I almost forgot a deadline. And it might be worth $300 bucks to you.

Thrifted men's camel hair coat -- deconstructed, washed & ready for natural dye workshop
If you're thinking of joining me for the Local Color: Ireland trip April 19-30, 2013, you can save up to $300 if you act by November 5. You get a $150 discount on the land portion of the trip if you make a deposit by that date. Celtic Journeys can negotiate a better rate on our lodgings if they're confirmed in November, and they pass that savings along to you. Also, if you pay in full by check instead of credit card by November 5, there's an additional $150 discount. The booking form is at http://www.celtic-journeys.com/locolreg.pdf. If you have any questions, please let me know or contact Maria Flynn Conway at Celtic Journeys.

Today, I did send a heads-up to folks on my email list. (If you're not already on my list, you can sign up here to get those emails. It's a bit different from getting these blog posts by mail.)



In the email, I included a couple of the interesting Ireland links I've been collecting. The Burren is one of our first destinations in Ireland, and the Burren land trust video above is fascinating. April should be a great time to see wildflowers there and elsewhere in Ireland. Here's a list of what might be blooming during the Local Color trip. And here's a list of some traditional Irish dye plants, which includes their Gaelic names.

And now, I really must go finish prepping for this weekend's workshop. These students get the last jug of raithneach (bracken) dye brewed from fresh leaves.

Raithneach a.k.a. bracken dye
After this weekend, I'll be using the bracken that went into the freezer for winter dyepots. And Bill will be getting back a shelf in the homebrew refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!