Sunday, October 16, 2011

Natural Dyeing & Wisconsin SDA

Yesterday I did a little demo of how I use willow to color and pattern fabric with willow at the Wisconsin Surface Design Association meeting. Here's the question that stumped me: "Is that on your blog?" Gulp. Looks like some things I meant to post about didn't get done. I'll get caught up with natural dyeing posts this week.


In the meantime, with the new Blogger Dynamic View you can no longer see the tag list that points you toward past posts on a particular topic. And the search function is still unreliable. So here's a link to posts tagged "Natural Dyeing." Of course, you'll have to click on the current post to be able to see there's a live link. And if I've written too much, this is sentence will be past the jump (where it might as well not exist). And I can't tell where the jump will be because I can no longer preview the post before publishing it. Sigh. I'd really much rather be dyeing than trying to figure this stuff out.

Anyway, it was a great meeting yesterday in Green Bay. I wish I'd been able to take a picture of the gorgeous walnut-dyed scarf Jean Harper showed, and of Jill Robinson's piece that combined rust printing with discharge. I held out as long as I could before touching the jacket worn by Laura Fisher-Bonvallet, a two-time Niche award winner, and didn't get a picture of that, either.


I did take a picture during a presentation by Alison Gates and two colleagues about the Flax Project at UW-Green Bay. Then I got so wrapped up in the program that this is the best I could do. That's a student (Alicia Engstrom, I believe) watering flax seedlings planted in a large container on campus. Better pictures and more information are here.

Kudos to Wisconsin's SDA Rep, Jill Robinson, for making this meeting happen. Jill invited members to bring a guest, so my neighbor Stephanie went with me.


Stephanie and her husband Shawn make and sell hammocks and messenger bags. She's working on the business plan for the next step in their quest to make the world a brighter, happier plan. It's a good plan!

My own plan (for this week anyway) is to sort through images and get caught up on those willow dyeing posts. If there's something else you've been waiting for me to write about, click "Comments" below this post to let me now, or let me know on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!