Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm A Fan

While I have certain avid interests, I haven't really thought of myself as a "fan" since I took down my Bobby Sherman posters. But today you can picture me clutching the social media equivalent of an autograph book. Sievers now has a fan page on Facebook, and I am a fan.

Sievers is a fiber arts school on Washington Island, just off the peninsula of Door County in Wisconsin. I first went to Sievers as a student back in 1994 (or 93?) for a 5-day workshop in rib-style willow basketry with Jo Campbell-Amsler. The school been an important part of my life ever since.



Are you a Sievers Achiever, too? Or maybe you have a similar relationship with another school, or a guild or art center. I hope so. There's a synergy that kicks in when you work with other people in that type of environment. That kind of magic clings to you even after you all go your separate ways.


So today I celebrate my return to Fandom. I raise my Sievers mug in a toast to all the people and places where creativity and community thrive. May we make it always be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved to http://donnakallnerfiberart.com. I hope you'll join the conversation there!